Humane Society Of Yuma

License Your Pet

City of Yuma Pet Licensing

To license your pet in the City of Yuma:

Step 1

Complete the City of Yuma License Form: 

Step 2

Save the completed form and your pet(s) rabies certificate then email to: 

Step 3 

Click here to pay the Total Amount from your pet License Form


Yuma County Pet Licensing

We are no longer issuing county licenses.

Click Here to Visit Yuma County's Animal Control Department


Licensing FAQ's

What is a license?

The State of Arizona requires that all dogs 3 months or older be vaccinated for rabies and licensed (ARS 11-1008). A valid license states that your pet has been vaccinated for rabies and you have complied with the Yuma County or City of Yuma Ordinance. In the event your pet gets away from you, and is picked up by animal control while wearing its collar with the license attached, Yuma County and the City of Yuma Animal Control Officers is in a much easier position to retrieve your information and return the pet to your home. In most cases animal control is able to automatically retrieve your pet's information, even when the Humane Society of Yuma is closed.

Is a license the same as a microchip?

A microchip is a small "chip" that inserted under the skin, between the shoulder blades of dogs and cats. This life-saving procedure can be done by the Humane Society of Yuma and any of our local Veterinary Clinics. A microchip does not state whether an animal is current on its rabies vaccination, however, microchipping has proved to save many lives. Every animal that is picked up by animal control is scanned by an officer. Once the animal enters the Humane Society of Yuma it is again scanned. If a microchip is present and the owners information is current, the animal can be quickly reunited with its owner. The owner will be required to provide current rabies and license information to the officer at the time the animal is returned.

What if I purchase a multi-year license?

Multi-year year licenses are available for Yuma County and City of Yuma residents. You can receive 2 and 3-year licenses as long as the rabies vaccination covers 1 1/2 years or 2 1/2 years depending on the license you purchase.

What can I do if my rabies vaccination expires prior to the end of the year?

All you have to do is visit one of our low-cost vaccination clinics and have your pets rabies vaccination updated. At that time our staff can extend your license for your pet to go through the end of that year.

Am I required to license my cat?

Cats are required to be licensed only in the City of Yuma.

Will I be charged a late fee if I am late licensing my pet?

If you are late in licensing your pet you will be required to pay $4.00 per each month that you are late if you reside in Yuma County. If you live within the City of Yuma you will be charged $2.00 for being between one month to one year late, $12.00 for being between one to two years late, and $22.00 maximum for being more than two years.  

Are winter visitors required to license their pets?

If you live within Yuma County or the City of Yuma for more than 2 weeks you are required to purchase a license.

What if I am not sure whether I am in the City or County?

If you are still unclear as to what jurisdiction you live in you may want to call the City of Yuma Animal Control Division at 928-373-4795. It is your responsibility as the pet owner to know whether you live in the City or County and license your pet appropriately. A $2.00 fee will be charged for each license that is issued incorrectly and must be refunded in order to license the pet in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Can my pet be vaccinated in a country other than the United States?

In order to receive a license for your pet you must provide a copy of a rabies certificate. For Yuma County residents, the rabies certificate must state that the vaccination was administered by a US licensed Veterinarian. The certificate must have the veterinarian's signature, State License number, Vaccination Serial number, Vaccine manufacturer, and date of expiration. For residents of the City of Yuma, a rabies vaccination from another country is acceptable as long as the above information is provided in the form of a rabies certificate.

Do I get a discount if my pet is altered?

You sure do! Not only does altering your pet save lives, it also gives you a discount on your license!! When you come in to license your pet it will be assumed that your pet is not altered unless your rabies certificate states that the animal is altered or you have a certificate of spay/neuter. Our staff will be unable to check your pet to see if the animal is spayed or neutered.
Additionally, if your pet is impounded at any shelter and unaltered in the State of Arizona, you will be required to pay a $50.00 spay/neuter penalty unless your pet is licensed. Just one more cost-saving measure to getting your pet licensed.

Do you need my pet to come in when I license my pet?

Your pet is not necessary when you license your pet in the event you have a complete and correct rabies vaccination certificate. Please see the list of upcoming rabies vaccination clinics if your pet is in need of his/her vaccination.